Saturday, April 10, 2010

Two weeks off from reality

My home care team was wonderful! After the first day, I was pretty much good to go. Sis spent the first work day home with me and took care of me with popsicles, sorbet, chocolate-hazelnut ice cream. All very necessary to make real food go down well! She also brought over a stack of DVDs and kept me busy while I was able to stay awake. Mr. Wonderful's aunt then came for the next three days at lunch, complete with bags of food from Whole Foods. She looked at me on the first day and said, "I know you, but I really don't know you. I have no idea what you like to eat, so I brought a bunch of different things." Then she proceeded to pull cans of soup, scones, chicken salad, mixed salad, chicken pot pie and God knows what else out of the bag. It was all delicious and perfect for Mr. Wonderful when he got home--that was even better, that I didn't have to think about feeding him! The next day S arrived along with Aunt and she whipped up lunch, a dinner of mac and cheese and put a fully cooked chicken in the fridge. I actually managed to sit my ass in the chair, and didn't worry about entertaining or cleanup...usually that 's hard for me since I'm a bit of a control freak (wait, not about the cleaning). It was nice. I spent the days sleeping, eating the food donations and reading trashy magazines since I couldn't really focus on a book.
I'm so grateful for everything that people did to take such good care of me. Friends also sent flowers and warm wishes and positive thoughts....it's cliche, but cancer makes you take a step back and realize how lucky you are to have such amazing people in your life. The sad thing is that I probably don't tell them enough....
I'm finishing up week 2 at home, and today I ventured out to the mall and the supermarket. I think I'll be ready to go back to reality on Monday. By reality I mean the work world and more people. This whole cancer thing has been one big cold dose of reality.
Oh. I forgot to mention the pathology report. Remember how the cancer was umimpressive?
Boots. It started raining boots once I got the pathology report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment