Sunday, April 25, 2010

I really just want a Reuben.


This food restriction can become an obsession. We stopped at Rien's Deli, again, on the way home from PA. If you want to experience a sense of total frustration, stop to eat at a Jewish deli, where just about everything is drowning in some salty concoction. Watch everyone around you eating corned beef, sauerkraut, blintzes, cole slaw, pastrami....and you have to ask the waitress for a plate for your salt-less, non-iodized food. This place is known all over for travelers on route 84--the lines are usually pretty long and the place is packed, both for the dining room and the take-out counter. It's exit 65 in Vernon, CT in case you're interested. I vow I will go there again. And order 2 Reubens to make up for this weekend. Sigh. Again, it's only for a couple of weeks. I can tolerate it knowing that it will end!

However, my sister- in- law had a brilliant idea on Saturday! She suggested that I grill up a bunch of veggies...we dragged our two nieces with us and went to the local Wegman's (love that place and could spend a whole afternoon in there!) and I bought peppers, yellow and green zucchini, eggplant, giant portobello mushrooms, onions and chicken cutlets. My brother-in-law was great and spent a ton of time grilling everything--I marinated everything in olive oil, non-iodized salt, pepper and basil...delicious!!! I had it for lunch, dinner and again to day for dinner when we stopped at Rien's. I have more for tomorrow night. It was really good and took some of the worry out of my head for a day. I felt badly too, since my sister-in-law was hosting a cocktail party for some friends before we went to my niece's show, and I couldn't eat any of the food she served (and it all looked so wonderful....). But, I was able to fill my plate and blend in.
And I did have some wine.

Off to bed since this was such a long day, and it's back to school tomorrow. Double sigh. I got nothing corrected and have soooooo much to do. Argh.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christine!
    We love Reins Deli and stop there each time we head to Washington or beyond. My favorite thing is marinated herring...the sour cream is to die for. When you know you can go again...just go. Take a long, leisurely ride...and then enjoy!

    Hope all is well at school. Don't allow yourself to get too tired (teachers are just naturally tired! LOL). It is time to love yourself...and keep in mind all the people who love you to.
    Mrs. F/ aka Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for putting a smile on my face today! I'm in my second period study, tired, and trying to avoid all the stuff that I have to do....
    We'll get to Rein's again, and then I will have my giant Reuben. Everything looked sooooo good! Not sure I could eat the herring though....I definitely would have loved a bagel and lox too.
    :)

    ReplyDelete