Thursday, April 15, 2010

Did you hear the one about the volcano in Iceland that erupted?

Have you seen this picture yet? It's all over the internet, on the world news....it's the volcanic ash cloud from the Eyjafjallajökull (say that five times fast) glacier. It's keeping my sister from her vacation. Her flight to London was supposed to leave about an hour ago, and she was supposed to go from London to Venice. In Venice, she was supposed to get on a really large boat and go for a sail around the Med, stopping in Dubrovnik (I loved Dubrovnik!), Epheseus, and a bunch of Greek islands. Then she was supposed to go back to Venice for a day and come back home.
Instead, she's drowning her sorrows with her travel companions somewhere in the North End and trying to figure out a Plan/Destination B. After tons of phone calls, they were told that they won't be able to make it to the really large boat, especially since the airport in Venice closed today. What happens if you plan a really great vacation and no one shows up? I think they have some kind of trip insurance, but don't "acts of God" tend to cancel everything out?
And to add to the frustration, it's school vacation week next week (yay!), and everything headed south is booked or sold out. 21 kids from my school went to Spain today, and I think their flight got out ok. I wonder if they'll get back next week if the cloud moves into southern Europe?
I usually tell Sis that we're not cursed, but lately it's got me thinking a little more than usual. Today's events make me question even more....

As for the thyroid stuff, I stopped the levoxyl today and started the cytomel. Nothing seems different yet--I had a glazed crueller this morning.

2 comments:

  1. As for the cancelled trip due to an act of God, it is par for the course. I am not joking when I say that I am the optimistic pessimist with the personal motto of "Don't worry, it will go wrong". Take you for instance with the not one but three forms of papillary cancer. I would like to think that Mum and Dad would be rolling in their graves for the way life has gone but really Sis nothing has changed. The lack of luck has just transferred to us now-it has always been our normal, huh? Pretty damn comical if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could come up with a good response to all of this, but at the moment I'm speechless and haven't had any wine tonight. I guess you should just sing "We are Siamese if you please" and think of me!

    ReplyDelete