Saturday, April 10, 2010

Thyroidless


The surgeon told my team that things looked "unimpressive". That's good, right? The cancer part was unimpressive. The condition of the thyroid however, was not. Dr. said it was a disgusting mess--inflamed, goopy, wrapped around the windpipe a little, swollen. Clearly the poor bugger had been under attack for years from Hashimoto's thyroiditis and antibodies. I had been told years before that I had a 50-50 chance of developing Hashimoto's. Apparently it had been flogging the hell out of the thyroid for years. No wonder I felt awful!
The pain wasn't bad at all and I didn't need pain meds after the following morning. I was in a room by 2 pm and eating raspberry slushy stuff by 4. Liquid dinner, but soft foods for breakfast. I was up by that evening and going to the bathroom on my own. Dr. N even came by on a social call to see how I was doing. Very cute. They sent me home around 1:30 the next day with some tape strips over the incision. Not bad as far as hospital stays went!
Since then, I've been home from work and sleeping a lot. I actually feel really good. I didn't know what the pathology results would show, but "unimpressive" sounded good. Right?
Don't forget, it's raining shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment