Monday, May 24, 2010

Whole Body Scan #1

I've been too wiped out since the RAI to post anything....ugh.  I figured I'd be tired, but this is "hit-by-a-train-exhausted".  Plus, my stomach really has been bothering me since the treatment and I haven't been eating like I should since I haven't had much of an appetite.



In the spirit of moving on, I had my first official Whole Body Scan this afternoon!  And that's about all I can tell you about it.  It looked something like the machine above except the part above my head was almost touching my nose, and I didn't have to change out of my clothes.  I was able to see the computer screen and see where my body parts just lit up--my neck, my stomach (that was creepy) and my bladder.  At least that's what it looked like to me.  I didn't have time to take any pics (darn), but I basically had to lie still on a skinny table while a giant camera passed slo-o-o-o-wly over me.  It took about 45 minutes, and then the guy had to do my neck again.  That actually got pretty uncomfortable since he made me tilt my head back and hold it there for about another 10 minutes.  Ow!
This is kind of what I could see, but picture the colors in reverse with the darker parts glowing white and the body and background in black.  This isn't me by the way, it's the closest image I could find on Google.  

And then it was over.  I have to call Dr. N tomorrow and see when she gets the results.  I had a good chat while lying there either with St. Peregrine  or his answering service--hard to tell which--asking for a clean scan...I hope he heard me.
Mr. Wonderful was my taxi service and he wonderfully suggested ice cream afterwards. I knew exactly where to go and thoroughly enjoyed a soft serve vanilla and chocolate twist with chocolate jimmies.  He had an ice cream soda.  Perfect way to cap off the whole trip!  And it was my first real ice cream in a month--pure bliss.

In other happy news, I started back on cytomel for a few days and .125mcg of my friend, Levoxyl.
On the left, Levoxyl.  On the right, half of a 25mg cytomel.  

The cytomel gives me a shot of T3 and makes me feel fairly energetic so I can get my ass out of bed in the morning.  The Levoxyl is the one that will take a few weeks to reach the right level so I don't feel so hypo.  Problem is the cytomel wears off by the afternoon, and I come crashing to a halt with a good nap. I can still function but have to move much slower.  I think there's a psychological boost for me too just knowing that the meds will work for me eventually because of years of past experience.  I've read from other people on the Thyca forum that they are anxious about starting the meds because they don't know what to expect, or that it's really difficult to find the right dose.  Right now, I'm overjoyed to be back with my pal above and can't wait for it to get to the right levels....and if I don't get there, Dr. N knows me well enough to tweak things.  Positive vibes here!  

The other funny thing is Mr. Wonderful and his daily use of the Geiger counter to measure how much radiation I'm giving off.  It's off the charts if you hold it up to my neck, but not beeping as loudly anywhere else.  And if you hold it a couple of feet away, it is also beeping less each day. 


Hmm. I tried to flip it but couldn't.  I've woken up a couple of mornings to the thing beeping outside my door.  He thinks it's pretty funny, and it is, but in a scary way.  I guess I have to carry a letter with me when I go through airport security next month when we fly to PA to prove that I had this done since there may still be some detectable radioactivity lurking.

So that was my exciting day.  I'm off to nap for a while...
Sis and I watched the finale of "Lost" last night--she's been a Lostie since the beginning, and I've watched it here and there.  The pre-finale show helped a lot, and I loved the ending.  I also loved loved loved the pizza we had for dinner...again, more bliss.  I had a couple of glasses of milk today and bowl of cereal with milk.   Stomach seems better today.  Next on the list:  fish from Belle Isle!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment