Saturday, May 1, 2010

Happy May Day!

Rhymes_with_Orange.20100501_large.gif


This caught my eye this morning while reading the paper--it made me chuckle, thinking about Maypole dancing in kindergarten. The box says, "The distance between Maypole dancing and pole dancing narrowed after a few Hefeweizen."

I don't know why the whole thing didn't come out--still learning!

I can't believe it's May 1st.


It's sunny, warm and very springy. I need to correct a pile of tests, but I'm in full avoidance mode at the moment.


It was a long week, and for some reason I decided to go ahead with teaching poetry by Federico Garcia Lorca. I love Lorca, and I love all the historical and cultural I can teach with it, but it meant that I had to be fully "on" all week. No down time....guess that meant I wanted to keep myself busy and distracted by other events in my life. We got through the poem (Romance de la luna, luna) yesterday. Huye luna, luna luna....


God knows what's coming next week...I left behind 2 weeks worth of work just in case I don't go in on Monday. I stopped taking the cytomel as of yesterday, so I'm waiting to see what happens. I told my AP class that I might not be in next week, and they were upset since the test is Tuesday. One kid told me I "had to be there" so I could send them off with positive wishes...last year I brought in breakfast since the test was at 8am, and they all showed up. I want to do the same this year, so I hope I'm literally up for it on Tuesday. They've worked really hard all year, and I know/hope they'll do well. They'd better ace it...


These are the signs from my students that they left for me when I came back after the thyroid surgery. One kid in particular decided months ago that my nickname should be "Special K", so he drew me an extra sign. In Spanish of course.


As for the LID, I am very proud of myself that I've stuck to the diet for the whole time. I only cheated once in PA and ate a piece of candy with milk chocolate. I have resisted putting cream in my coffee; I'm not a fan of drinking it black, but it's bearable. Today I made turkey meatballs--they were really delicious--, pasta sauce, and sauteed veggies. I think I have a pretty good stock of stuff in the freezer for Hypo Hell if I need it. I do need to get some more cilantro to make fresh salsa...I found unsalted tortilla chips at Trader Joe's this week, and the salsa I made last week was delicious....they would go really well together! I want to make another loaf of banana bread since I'm down to my last piece too.


Staying on the LID has reminded me just how much I've gotten away from cooking from scratch over the last year. It's so much easier to pull premade stuff out of the cabinet for convenience sake at times, but it's so unhealthy. It didn't take that long to make the meatballs, but usually it's easier to buy the frozen....I wish I had more time to more stuff from scratch, and I wish I had a really big freezer so I could make fresh stuff and freeze it, like with marinara sauce, chicken broth....I suppose I could find the time if I wanted. The freezer is another story. And, if I were cooking more from scratch, you can bet there would be dairy, cheese and butter in there somewhere!


I don't feel too bad, but I am forgetting things. I'm a little tired, but I'm always tired. At times I feel a little lightheaded and then it passes. I hope I get to be one of the people who don't feel too bad going through this.


Interesting local development--we are under a boil water order since a major aqueduct that fees the city collapsed. 36 other communities are in the same predicament...I don't think we have any bottled water in the house....not good. I wonder how long it will last?


Between the erupting Icelandic volcano, the massive ongoing oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the rotating earthquakes around the world and now a water crisis, I can't help but wonder if God is trying to tell us something?


Time to go eat my veggies and meatballs with some wine...




4 comments:

  1. Hi Christine,
    Just letting you know that I do read your journal just about every other night. Thank you for sharing.

    What results are they looking for as you go through this? Do you need to check with doctor on a daily basis or only when something seems unusual?

    I love you sharing what your kids are doing...they really care about you, don't they? Not easy to get high schoolers, even the best of the best, to really care...but they do. I hope you get to go in and wish them luck...not just for them...but for you.

    Question: Does Mel know? Don't want to mention anything inadvertently.

    Love you,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way..."Nahnee" comes from Reilly. She made it up herself when she began to call me by me...even though I had referred to myself as "Nan." We think it's because she heard Mummy, Daddy, Parky. So she thought Nanny but it came out Nahnee...with accent on the second syllable. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. F!
    Thanks for reading! Not very interesting, but it's helping me keep track of stuff along with my sanity.
    I love the Nahnee--that story was so cute! You must love the time you get to spend with her, and I'm sure she adores you.
    My kids are pretty funny sometimes--I could dedicate a whole blog just to classroom stories! I was floored by their response to all of this--only the AP class knows that I might not be in next week. I didn't dare tell the others yet since I don't really know for sure.
    Dr. said I have to go in next week for blood work once the meds are completely out of my system. They want to see the thyroid stimulating hormone at a certain number so I can have the RAI. She said that if I'm not at whatever the magic number is, they can figure out how long it will take and then will schedule the next step. I might call the office on Monday to double check. In the meantime, I just have to wait to crash. Today is ok.
    I did tell Mrs. D last week, so she knows, and she's been reading the blog too (Hi Mrs. D!).
    I told Matt Bonner's wife tonight too, so she knows.
    Other than that, we're surviving....

    Keep in touch and let me know how things are going on your end....

    Love you too,
    Chris :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered if Matt B. knew...Would he tell HB? I'll wait til she says something to me?

    Got your responses to the news...thank you.

    Mr. F went for tests (MRI and bone scan) Friday and now we're on pins and needles waiting for results...which probably won't come until we've forgotten he's had them!!

    Off to MA Wednesday to sit for The Reills, home Friday night, and then meeting Josh and Cait and Reilly for brunch on Sunday at the Bedford Village Restaurant which should be nice.

    Will keep reading. Hi to Mel! Good good luck...Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete