Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year....

Still relishing the word "undetectable".

It's pouring rain sideways and is cold!  Gotta love New England.  I think there's a Nor'easter stuck off the coast and we're getting pounded.  Can't complain since it's been such a beautiful summer, and I think the weekend is supposed to be hot again.

Best back to school commercial ever.  

13 days til I go back to reality and have to be out of bed by 6 am if I have any chance of getting to school on time.  Ugh.  Today, I dozed on and off until the clock said 10:39 am.  At that rate, I'd be in my 4th class of the day.  This could be a problem Houston!  I'm so grateful that I had the summer to basically do nothing, zip, zilch, nada. I have a bag of school stuff that is starting to call my name louder and louder since it's feeling so neglected after all this lack of attention.  I'm meeting up with some teachers next week to do some planning, and I have to put my room together.  And update my syllabus. And reply to an email from guidance from a kid who is supposedly stuck in Cape Verde without her summer AP work packet and doesn't know what to do.  I can't really help her since the packet was photocopied...welcome to the real world honey!
And I'm still doing some shopping for supplies--found big blocks of construction paper for $1 at Target!!  Woo hoo!


If I reread that last statement, it's pretty sad that construction paper is exciting to me.  But, since this is the start of my 21st year in teaching, I'm taking it as a good sign that I'm still excited by school supplies.  I have most of my shopping done, but not all of it.  Post-it notes and colored pens simply make me giddy.

 Aside from school prep, I have to keep reminding myself sometimes that my body really has gone through a lot in the last six months, and the doctors said it would take at least a year for things to calm down. The surgeon said it can take a year just to recover from general anesthesia alone, never mind the missing gland and bits that went out with the gland.   Even the RAI is still working for up to a year after the dose!  That is amazing.  I can picture the little radioactive iodine globs zipping around, seeking and destroying any and all thyroid cell remnants.  (insert evil laugh here)

As for the Tums issue, I found some yummy gummy fruity calcium chews that don't create the hungry horrors.  Now I just have to remember to take them.

So, even though I look semi-normal, there is a lot of crazy stuff going on inside.  What's going on in my head is another story for another day, although you'd probably get images of folders, staplers and post-it notes with Spanish pop music in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment