Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Check your neck!

September is Thyroid Cancer Awareness month!!

I never knew that until now for obvious reasons, and because thyroid cancer doesn't have the media machine and presence of other cancers.  The person who came up with the pink ribbon for breast cancer awareness was a genius--unfortunately, that pink ribbon is everywhere.

I'd love to know who designed the rather uniquely strange color combo for thyroid cancer--it's teal, pink and blue or purple depending on which website you consult.  How Miami Vice-ish.  Some sites say it's only purple, but I think colon cancer took the just purple ribbon.


The website for ThyCa is phenomenal if you are looking for anything and everything related to thryoid cancer.  Go to www.thyca.org for basic info, resources and coping ideas. They also have the life-saving LID cookbook in pdf format for free that you can print out--I think a new edition came out a few weeks ago.  I would have been lost without it during my month on the low iodine diet.
www.thyca.org


As for the "Check your neck" motto, it didn't work for me to check it since I only felt a globulous lumpy mush of a thyroid.  Dr. N checked it every time I saw her, much to my dismay since the last couple of check ups resulted in my trying really hard not to throw up from the pressure.  Imagine where I'd be if she didn't check it?

Still undetectable!  However, I think I have gained 5 pounds since the last bloodwork.  Even though I have historically felt great in the hyper zone, my body would get confused and show hypo symptoms.  So far the extra weight and drier skin are the only hypo symptoms.  The rest of my metabolism feels like it sped up, and someone told me the other day that my rate of speech was much faster.  Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment