Monday, September 20, 2010

Weekend!

Ahhhhh, weekend.

This had to be the longest week I can remember.  The first week back to school is strange--exciting because of all the new faces and the idea of a fresh start, but exhausting due to being on my feet all day in shoes for the first time in a couple of months.  By Wednesday the kids looked like they needed mid-day naps and the teachers looked shell-shocked!  It's pretty comical.

My classes seem to be ok.  The AP kids are also shell-shocked by the fact that I'm only speaking Spanish (any other language wouldn't work), so I'm going to have to spend a lot of time convincing them that they'll survive.

As for the weekend, Mr. Wonderful and I took a trip to see a car show near Bennington, VT.  Oh the people watching! It's an odd combination of men in khaki shorts and loafers who can afford to restore antique cars, and people who look like they came off the mountain for day of scrounging old car parts at the flea market, and then people of all sizes and shapes in between.  Some of the cars are beautiful.  We meandered our way back home via back roads and stopped in to see my Mother-in-law for a visit before the final leg home.  Once we got home, we realized that Mr. W's car was still at work--we forgot that I picked him up yesterday with my car en route to VT.  Sigh.

Sunday was kind of blah...plans were to originally go to the Irish Cultural Center's festival, but Mr. Wonderful wasn't feeling too well, so we stayed put while he napped.  I did laundry, ironed, made 2 loaves of banana bread and prepped for this week at school.  He was not a happy camper between back pain and the onset of a cold.

And the Patriots lost.

So, 50-50 split this weekend.

Not feeling as "destrozada" as I thought I would be after the first full week of classes. I was pretty energetic yesterday, and stayed up til after 11pm so I could finish "The Duchess".  It was a very thorough biography of Georgiana Spencer Cavendish, the Duchess of Devonshire.  I saw the movie a couple of years ago and now need to go see it again.  She was an amazing woman for her time, and there are some eerie parallels between her life and the life of her descendent, Diana Spencer.  Not that I'm big into British history, but I picked this up at a used bookstore and it was in the "to read" pile.

Portrait of Georgiana done by Thomas Gainsborough

The movie Duchess played by Keira Knightly.

"The Town" is next on the pile since it's all over the place.  Dying to read about my hometown and see just how negative the stereotypes are....

No comments:

Post a Comment