Thursday, September 30, 2010

I'm going to turn into a rabbit soon.



Long time no post, but life has been busy lately! I don't have much to talk about on the cancer front at the moment since I seem to be surviving the return to work better than I had anticipated.  Things are going ok (shhhhh, they might hear me say that and then all hell will break lose) at the moment.  Energy is holding up, and I'm surprising myself by getting up in the am and making it out the door without rushing too much.  I'm actually getting to school before the kids are on the floor--it's really nice just before 7:25am when there's no one there, my classroom is dark and empty, and it's quiet....by the end of last year I was barely making it to my room by the start of homeroom, and the little buggers would be piled up outside my locked door, positioning themselves to get in first.  So, that's a nice change from last year.
Picture of  hallway, but taken a couple of years ago on the last day for seniors.  I don't have a pic of it empty....
However, I'm surviving on lots of green stuff to battle the weight issue.  I will become a giant rabbit soon.  I'm putting together salads or hummus and veggies for lunch just about every day and figure it will get old soon.  Breakfast is Chobani yogurt with some kind of fruit and a slice of banana or corn bread...I'm waiting for the stress to kick in, and then my meticulously planned diet will explode on itself, and it's every glazed crueller for himself.  I'm hoping that won't happen.  I have managed to lose all of 2 pounds from the summer.   A little walking here and there, but no set schedule.  Same story, different year/week/month/day.  I figure if most of my day consists of plant life, it might cut down on some of the weight staying on my hips.   In the meantime, I'm carefully searching for signs of a cotton tail growing out of my slightly too large ass. 

Saw the movie "The Town" over the weekend.  The movie itself was good--great car chase through the North End--even if it was a little on the violent side.  Sis and I had lots of chuckles as we watched the ice rink where we spent our childhood flash across the screen.  We had fun recognizing the streets and places in the neighborhood, and the accents were finally well done and believable for a Boston movie.  Dark side of life in our little town, and the disclaimer about all the "good people" who clearly out number the bad was shown after the credits finished.  We were the only ones left in the theater, so no one else in that showing saw it.  I always seem to be defending where I came from, and I find myself doing it again with the release of the movie.  It was a great place to grow up, and in some ways I wish things hadn't changed so much.  There was a real sense of community, everyone knew who your grandparents were and frequently threatened us with, "I'll tell your mother."  And they did.  I'm reading the book now.  Ben Affleck did a great job--where will he situate his next film?  He's done Charlestown, Dorchester and Southie....not bad for a guy from the People's Republic of Cambridge.  He probably never set foot in the town when he was younger, right?  It was worth seeing--we'll have to get it when it comes out on DVD and see what else we can identify. 

Right now I'm up late since I had a lovely iced hazelnut from Starbucks at 5pm so I could push through our first Open House tonight.  I had a ton of parents which surprised me since I have all the older kids--didn't expect so many to show up.  Things went fine, but it makes for a really long day.  And now I'm wired.  I spent some time looking for articles and info about the 33 trapped miners in Chile so I can use them in the AP class.

Message for Open House?  I love all my special snowflakes. 

Off to bed now that it's well after midnight.  Tomorrow will seem even longer....especially since I just realized the date, meaning I need to get stuck with a needle tomorrow for my bloodwork check for my appointment on October 4th with my favorite endocrinologist.  Sigh.  That means I will start ruminating on whether or not I'll hear the word "undetectable" next week.  Time to check in with St. Peregrine for a little chat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment