Saturday, June 5, 2010

Whew. What a week.


Made it through in one piece!  I'm a little tired, but not too bad, and much better than the first week back after the TT. I still have a metallic taste in my mouth, so when I eat something, the taste of it is dulled.  It's like I can barely taste things--so disappointing!  I had a few days right after the RAI where my tastebuds seemed fine, but not now.  It feels like my tongue is burned, and at different points during the day, the outer parts in the back tingle.  I've read about this as a side effect, and it sucks.  I've done all the stuff I'm supposed to do to ward off negative after-effects, so I hope this is it and that it passes eventually.

Other weird thing--my ankles were swollen last night!  A little freaky, but I guess being on my feet all week would do that?   I don't think that would be related to the RAI...they seem fine this morning.  I really need to think about getting back to exercising again.  I think I could start either biking or walking a little so that by the end of the month I'd have a routine established...I have been eating a ton of fruits and veg, and even avoided the free donut day at Dunkin's yesterday when I got my coffee.  Actually the glazed cruellers didn't look that good, and nothing else caught my eye.

Kids were back on track pretty quickly, and after a quick read of one group's essays from yesterday, they weren't too bad at first glance.  Not too many quibbles over grades.  Lots of laughable moments too.  I had to remind the AP kids that they had taken the test and could relax a little, that the pace could slow down now...to be honest, keeping my thoughts straight in English can be tough, never mind in Spanish!  We're doing a short story/movie mini unit, so it shouldn't be too bad. A bunch of the AP kids took the SAT II in Spanish and one scored a perfect 800 while 4 others scored in the 700s and 600s....wow!  I'm used to hearing them say they scored between 500 and 600.  The 4H  kids are going over the work they did while I was out.

I missed the senior prom too--too tired last night to get off the big chair and go back out.

Freaky moment from yesterday--as the kids were scribbling away about Lorca and the Generation of '27, I was figuring out senior grades.  I was unable to consistently use the calculator correctly!  I kept confusing the buttons and hitting the wrong ones over and over...the grades aren't due for a couple more days, so I'll have time to check them again.  It was so frustrating and surreal at the same time.  I had to laugh.  And it was one of my sped calculators that I used to use to teach middle school sped math, not a fancy complicated graphing calculator that I see my current kids using.  I don't even know how to turn those on.

Really?  I can't get this thing to work!  

I know it's June, but it doesn't feel like it to me yet.  Probably because the whole month of May was deleted and I'm not nearly as exhausted like I would be at the end of the year.

Happy note on my Dunkin' Donuts mug--it's the same as a medium coffee, but they only charge 99 cents per refill!  It's $1.92 for a medium coffee in a styrofoam bad-for-the-environment cup.  Keeps me from going through the drive through, but any extra exercise at this point is good.

Sad note--one of my former students was killed in a one-car accident the night before last.  She was only 22.  I remember her, and actually have a copy of something with her name on it in my files that she never made up, and it was the last copy of the paper I had.  I just saw it a couple of months ago.  She was a beautiful, sweet kid with some spunk and smarts to her--she would battle with me but could also make me laugh.  I guess school wasn't a good place for her--she dropped out after I left, but got her GED and was working her way into nursing school.  She was by no means stupid, and I remember spending time trying to convince her that she was smart and had so much potential.  She was an only child.  This is bothering me a lot today...hope you are now at peace, Sam.

Off to do some laundry and errands for the day...might take a nap later, we'll see.  Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment