Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Back to life, back to realiteeeeee


I went back to work yesterday.  Been out for four whole weeks!!  I was originally freaked out about missing two weeks after the thyroidectomy, but this was a whole different story since I had no idea how long this whole Hypo Hell/RAI experience would take.

I love Calvin and Hobbes comics about school.  


One problem though--having some issues with insomnia, or just falling asleep at a decent hour so I get enough sleep.  I stopped taking the cytomel after yesterday since that might be it, and Dr. N said to take it for the first week and then stop; just .125 mcg of Levoxyl now.    I stayed up till 12:30 playing with iTunes and putting together prints/photo books on the Kodak gallery--40% off everything!  Yeah.  That didn't seem like a good idea when the alarm went off this morning!   I did ok and made it through the day in one piece.  Kind of tired now and should probably be in bed instead of writing this.

The kids were pretty funny--a couple of them know where I park, and by 7:27 I had kids passing by my room to see if it was true that I was in--that went on all day!  They actually did the work I left behind since the sub kept them quiet and working most of the time.  The class with the most discipline reports however gave me a Dunkin' Donuts gift card with a travel mug--coincidence?  No, they've been telling me that they were going to do that during the two weeks after the surgery but I didn't think they were serious.  Yesterday they handed me a giftbag saying that they all chipped in.   Most asked if everything was ok, and each group clapped when I explained that the cancer came back "undetectable" as of now.

As for the discipline reports, it was amazing to me how horrendous some of the behavior was and how the kids felt it was was justified because they didn't "like" the sub.  Stuff that they wouldn't do with me, like cut class, eat a sandwich, use and then argue over cell phones, yelling out, "I pooped my pants" or "Booty booty booty rockin' it"  and just being plain disruptive.   Disappointed in the entitled little demon children.  They all apologized to me and said they would get back on track.  We'll see....they have an essay on Friday.

Later during the morning the assistant headmaster paged my room looking for two kids and called me by the sub's name--apparently he missed the email and phone call that I was coming back, and he's  in charge of teacher attendance?  Again, I know we're a big school with a huge staff, but it kind of makes you wonder when the next level above you isn't even sure that you are physically in the building doing your job.

But, my colleagues put together a basket of goodies that I got yesterday, so that put a smile on my face.  It had some Spanish wine, a variety of books to read, all kinds of stuff to pamper myself--candles, tea, coffee, Maria cookies, chocolates, spa stuff.  My summer reading is all set, but the wine and chocolate won't last long.  Good wine too--Marques de Caceres!   Someone in Salamanca said that was a good one.  Lots of stuff to play with in there.  Other people have been stopping by my room to say hi and express their surprise since they had no idea I had been out.  It's weird--you get to know people really well one year because either you have similar schedules or are geographically located in the same place in the building.  Then it all changes the following year because you no longer have the same free period or someone's room is relocated.  Doesn't do much for building cohesiveness or collegiality among the faculty.  I can still enjoy my basket though!

And that's where I'm at so far.  The LID food is almost gone--one more meatloaf in the freezer, and one more container of black bean soup.  I even have some stuff that will last in the back of the cabinet until next year's bout with the LID.

Off to bed...

No comments:

Post a Comment