Monday, April 2, 2012

TCI 2012

What a great trip!!  I pulled off the "surprise sister for her birthday" trip to Turks and Caicos, or at least she's letting me think I did.
Look at me I'm almost 40! 

I had a blast.
We were on the beach by lunch the day we arrived.  We went Saturday morning and came back Tuesday night.
Ok, things didn't start out that well when Mr. Wonderful dropped us off at Terminal E like I thought--international flights always go out of E, right?   Then, after he was gone, and we were wandering around the terminal, I realized that we should have gone to B.  *&^#@).  Sis wasn't very happy, and I was panicking about what this could mean for the rest of the trip!  We trekked all over the airport but made it to terminal B, had some breakfast and got on a plane loaded with toddlers.  There were sooooo many babies! Who knew that TCI was such a baby haven?
So we were at the beach restaurant for lunch, checked in by 2:30 and headed for the beach.
Grace Bay

We sat there for the next two days.  And it was heaven.  From 10 am until sunset.  Paradise.  Heaven I tell you. 
The water was gorgeous.  There was nothing to do except read, watch people meandering up and down the beach, and occasionally go in the water to cool off.  

The water was such a beautiful shade of blue, and it kept changing with the sun and clouds.  There were tons of things to watch--kayaks, Hobie cats, stand up paddlers, parasailers, snorkelers...it was a never-ending stream of activity, but peaceful at the same time.

The sunsets were breathtaking.  

We strolled the beach and found the supermarket. 
After we paid $5.50 for this bottle below at the resort's "convenience store".  It was $1.79 at the market.  Prices in TCI are pretty high.  
Aside from sitting on the beach, we also had some great food.  First, we had lunch and dinner at Hemmingway's, right on the property.  Fell in love with the Chop Salad and Chicken Curry wrap.  Mmmm.  Sampled tons of seafood.  We also had a fun dinner at Grace's Cottage at the resort next door to ours.  It turned into Sis' birthday dinner once we saw that one option on the menu was a bottle of wine for $2600...no, we didn't order it, but we did turn dinner into a splurge.  And the food was phenomenal.  

This was the appetizer known as Grace's Trio--a scallop, some lobster spring rolls, a little salad and the container of stuff...we weren't sure if the container was actually a dipping sauce for the roles, or if it was a sampler of conch chowder....there were two spoons on the plate, so we figured it was chowder.  But we were never completely sure, so we probably made quite a scene--did we eat the dipping sauce like a chowder?  It was, um, confusing.  :)  
We also sampled the local brew, perfect on a hot day in the sun with conch fritters and fries. 

But not too much because it was over $6 a bottle! 
Our room had a distant view of the ocean, but our room was actually a small apartment complete with a full kitchen, washer dryer, screened in porch, dishwasher, living room, dining room....beautiful!  I'd go back again.  

View of part of The Sands at Grace Bay.  Great thing right now is that there is nothing on either side of this particular resort, so the beach feels roomy and uncrowded.

It was such a great break from life for a couple of days.  Sis said it was exactly what she wanted, and said she felt so relaxed.  We did a pretty good job with the sunblock too.  Well, she did.  Me, not so much.  I totally forgot on the third day to put sunblock on my face.  I don't know why, I just did.  I went out into the sun with my sunglasses on and stayed in the water for a couple of hours.  And then I went under the umbrella for the rest of the day.  Imagine my surprise at the end of the day to see giant (and I mean giant) raccoon eyes, bright white against flaming red.

So not pretty. 
I took a picture  the morning we were leaving--my face was soooo swollen and sore!  The rest of me was ok--no sunburn anywhere else Thank God, just on my face and neck area.  Sis thought this pic was funny.  Ha ha.  Ouch. 
I've burned badly many times over the course of my life, but never like this.  I wonder if it was just a stronger sun, or if my lack of thyroid/meds/screwed up hormones came in to play and made it worse?  Or am I just trying to pass the blame?  
I've had lots of interesting comments over the past few days, but I don't want to remember them.  Let's just say that a group of gasping teens is not a great way to start the day off on your first day back at school.  (lol) And to think they asked me if I'd tan....
It's better today, if you can call peeling an improvement.  
So, overall, without the sunburned face, I'd give the trip a 10.  Add in the sunburn, a 9.  It was great to just hang out for a couple of days with Sis and celebrate with her.  After all we've gone through over the past few years, this was perfect.  Happy Birthday to you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment