Monday, April 2, 2012

National Foreign Language Week 2012

I mentioned this a couple of posts ago, so I figured I'd update.  I survived the week!  And we actually did some stuff that has potential for the future.
I have to give kudos to the teachers in my department who put in the extra time and effort to plan some activities during the week, and all were done after school with no compensation (take that anti-teacher people)--we had three after school foreign film days in German, Chinese and Italian, complete with food.  Funny how Nutella was a key ingredient in all three....We had dance lessons for salsa, tango, flamenco and bachata for Spanish, and French had a food fest that was amazing.  Some kids wore flag colors and stuff related to their heritage--I wore my bright Kelley green Irish rugby shirt.  Any excuse to throw on jeans!
We ended the week with Public Declamation--21 kids declaimed in Spanish, Italian, German, Chinese and French.  We had three students open the declamation with a song in Fillipino to represent just one of the languages spoken by kids at school.  5 posters were submitted to a state-wide contest about language learning.
So, all in all, I was happy with how things went.  It's a start, and hopefully it can continue next year.  I liked the dance lessons--they were fun and the kids were adorable.   I was dead by Friday, but it got the department some attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment