Monday, March 25, 2013

Whew.

After a week of worrying around the clock about my thyroglobulin levels, I finally got some answers on Friday and Saturday.

It was a two-fer:  one mistake made by the lab, one mistake made by the person in the office who read me my results.

WTF?

Mistake number one:  The lab never did the thyroglobulin test.  They did the thyroglobulin antibody test instead.  The lab slip said that the thyroglobulin test was supposed to be done.

Mistake number two:  The tech/person who read me the results told me that the number 20 was for the thyroglobulin, instead of the antibody thingie.  Turns out that a 20 on the antibody test is within the normal and/or negative range.

Dr. N called me on Saturday afternoon at 3:30, but I missed the call (that figures).  She basically told me about the mistakes, and that she only ordered the thyroglobulin because I was having bloodwork done--since it's been low from the start of this whole process, she's comfortable testing it once a year at this point.   My cholesterol numbers are finally in decent ranges, but I am on a statin for that.

It was a pretty crappy week--from Monday's initial phone call to Friday morning's follow-up call, my brain took lots of field trips into dark, scary corners.  I know I need to keep myself from going there, but it's so damn hard!  Monday and Tuesday were complete washouts.  I played quite a few rounds of Ruzzle.  In English, Spanish and French.

I can't get really mad because mistakes happen, and I can't blame Dr. N for the whole think because it wasn't her fault.  Still, it sucked.

So on a happy note, I'll keep going until the next appointment in the summer (I think).....


No comments:

Post a Comment