Monday, March 18, 2013

Nononononononono. Detectable?

Trying not to panic today.

Dr. N's nurse called me with the results of my bloodwork from last week.  "All your results are normal."
That's not good enough for me, so I always ask for the numbers to compare to the last round of bloodwork--I wanted to know if the statins had helped the cholesterol numbers, and they've definitely improved.  I guess she didn't test the cardiac reactive protein thingie--I forgot to photocopy the lab orders this time, so I'm not really sure what she tested.  How did I miss that?

Anyway, I asked her about the thyroglobulin.   "Oh.  It's 20."

Um, that doesn't sound undetectable to me, does it?  Last time it was 0.5, so jumping to 20 seems huge to me.  Right?

So now I'm waiting for Dr. N to call me back so I can ask her some more questions.  Of course I've been on the computer all afternoon looking for info about recurrence.  I've always understood that chances for recurrence are high, especially since the cancer metastasized to the lymph nodes.  The rise in thyroglobulin can just mean that there is thyroid tissue lurking somewhere in my system, but usually that probably indicates that the cancer is back, even microscopically.

Maybe the nurse made a mistake reading the report.  Maybe they realigned the normal range?  Maybe I have cancer again?  

I've pretty much lost today between searching and napping.  And I did eat some cake, so the gluten will add to the joy of my day.  Sigh.

Here's hoping Dr. N will call me back tonight....


No comments:

Post a Comment