Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday snoozer

It's a lazy Sunday morning here...oops, now afternoon...
Blaming it on inability to doze off before 2am. 
Mr. Wonderful even went back to bed around 11 and is currently snoring away under the covers. 
Lunch.

I spent yesterday hanging out with my mother-in-law while Mr. W worked on his car all day.  She fed us grilled bologna and cheese sandwiches for lunch, and they tasted absolutely delicious.  Very unhealthy but yummy.  I got some school stuff done between chats, (I love our chats)  and we finished up with grilled steak tips.  She's into Turner Classic Movies, and we ended up watching "San Francisco" with Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy and Jeanette MacDonald.  I couldn't leave without seeing the end of the movie.  Slightly cheesey but a good story.  Preps are underway for Thanksgiving (can't believe it's next week).  It was a nice day...
Addiction....
Other highlight of the day was finally going to a stitchery store that I found online last summer but haven't had time to stop at until yesterday.  Great place with tons and tons and tons of Xstitch patterns and yarn.  Lots of needlepoint too--my mom would have been excited.  The owner said she's struggling but hopes a strong winter season will let her stay open through the spring.  She also told me about a new type of counted needlepoint that is becoming popular, kind of like a cross between Xstitch and needlepoint.  Might have to look into that this winter--she showed me some finished pieces that were really cool.  I'm now on her mailing list, and she said she'd put more info in the upcoming newsletter.  I picked up a couple of things to add to my box of stuff. 
Not going to sing opera, but I liked the picture...
Today I'm contemplating signing up for an Irish folk-singing circle thingie....it starts in January and runs for 6 weeks.  I think you get to learn new stuff while polishing a party piece.  It's run by a singer I've seen before in concert.  However, I'm not so sure that my voice survived the thyroidectomy in one piece...I haven't really sung anything in ages, and I think the surgery may have done some damage:  my voice gets weaker faster after talking a lot, I still get some odd pulling in my throat and neck, and sometimes it feels like I can't get above a certain volume.  If I do, I feel winded.  I haven't mentioned any of this to the doctor because in the bigger picture it isn't impacting my quality of life, and it's not like my singing voice is paying the bills.  I do fine at school most days, and I wonder if my constant colds are a bigger factor.  It would be nice to channel some energy into singing--music has always been a great stress release for me, and I've been negelecting it lately.  As for the voice issues above, I read somewhere that it can take up to a year post-surgery for everything to return to normal...still, it might be worth it to explore the possibility?  Or wait 6 more months.  I can't decide, but I keep thinking about it.  That usually indcates to me that I should follow through.  What should I pick for a party piece?  Funny thing is that this woman has performed regularly with another singer I love, so it might be weird to pick one of her songs...I need a confidence boost too. 

One other note--my RAI was six months ago yesterday!  I think I'm doing ok....just keeping an eye on my salivary glands since they can swell up and have problems--lots of people on the Thyca forum reported issues around 8 months after RAI. 
Thyca.org


And I signed up to become a life member of the Thyca organization. The donation was nothing compared to all the information, support and tips I've gotten from their website and participation in the forum.  In return, I got a spiffy memebership card and 3 (count 'em--three!) medication organizers of varying sizes.  One will hold horse pills, it's so huge.  One is a purse size, and the other is closer to a normal 7 day pill box.  I kind of don't need them right now since I'm only on levoxyl, a daily vitamin and gummy calcium chews.  Hopefully I won't ever need the horse version.

So a small celebration this evening I think to mark 6 monts post-RAI....maybe my ovaries will wake up soon?  Wouldn't that be hillarious....

Off to do something productive with my afternoon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment