Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Coming up for air again

Whew--a day off just in time!
Tomorrow is Veteran's Day, so no school. 
I wonder why we don't make a bigger deal out of Veteran's Day?  Or maybe it's just me.  Mr. Wonderful is going to work to oversee/particpate in the flag burning ceremony in the town where he works. 

I will relish a little time tomorrow and say a prayer of thanks for all the veterans who gave so much and then some so we can live the way we do. 

Tonight was my annual guest appearance at my friend Sally's grad class on teaching methods for foreign languages.  She brought three of her students to my room and I spent a little over an hour talking about behavior/classroom management, the reality of teaching vs. what they tell you in grad school, and various toys you can play with while getting kids to use the target language.  One student had been teaching already for 4 years, and the other two are still observing.  I think I scared them.  We went out for dinner afterwards to an Irish pub where I inhaled a plate of curry chips (fries)...so damn good!  Makes me want to jump on a plane and find a late-night chipper in the back of beyond in Ireland.  The waiter had a Dublin accent and took good care of us.  Fun evening. 

I posted a query about my dad's radiation on the Thyca forum, and the resident radiation expert posted back saying that dad probably wasn't radioactive when he came home, so no worries.  I'm still not so sure.  I think I just would like to have a neat way to package all of this misery up into a small box, that it would have an explainable cause rather then be caused by  scary randomized bad luck.  Pinning it on my dad's cancer seems more comforting, but I don't know why.  Sis still doesn't have her bloodwork result and is waiting. 

Off to bed since I can barely keep my eyes open....I stayed up last night til midnight working on a website for my classes (done! kelspanishbls.blogspot.com), and today didn't come up for air until 6:30pm.  Long day. 

Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment