Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Can't find the sheep to count...time to shuffle the iPod

Ugh.  I hate insomnia.
My brain thinks this way too.  
Nothing like trying to survive on three hours of sleep a night.   I don't know what is worse--having to throw the covers off (again) due to a massive hot flash, or having some acid reflux issues that I've never had to deal with before.  Mr. Wonderful's snoring is a separate issue altogether--it's worse when he has a cold, and he's had a cold all week.  Honk snort honk.

So Sunday and Monday night I tossed, turned, tried my iPod to drown out the flock of geese honking beside me, watched the clock, ate some zucchini bread at 1:30am and finally dozed off around, oh, 3am.  Only to have the alarm clock go off at 5:30am.

I don't know if it's my hyper-anti-cancer state, the coffee at 2:15pm to make it through the afternoon, or my plummeting estrogen levels thanks to my non-functioning ovaries.

Problem is, I feel like I could collapse at 7pm and then get a second wind.

I did fall asleep last night though and managed to get a sound sleep, but it wasn't quite enough.  Never is, right?  So I'm on edge to see what happens tonight.  I am laughing as I type this.

What a week, and it's only Wednesday.  No heat in school still since the chimney work that was only supposed to take a week is now into week 3 and taking place during school hours.  And my clock still doesn't work, so I spend my classes setting my cell phone alarm clock every few minutes like someone with OCD.  The kids don't wear watches anymore, and they are lost without the clock clicking the time away.
I also lost three hours of my life in a training course on how to teach English language learners (ELL), mandated because my school system slightly ignored bilingual kids after the state changed the law. Now all teachers have to trained.  Guess what the first session is about?  Second language acquisition and the meaning of culture.  Sigh.  That's what I do for a freaking living.  I still have work online to do and one more three hour loss of time next month.   One of my colleagues asked me today if I had removed the pins from my eyeballs yet--he mimed it to my table after an hour and half of whatever it was.    Good times.

Time to see what happens tonight.  I uploaded all my Christmas music on my iPod, and even managed to get Mary Byrne's songs from X-Factor.  Love her!  I usually put the iPod on shuffle and keep clicking through the songs til I fall asleep.  However, I'm usually jolted awake by a live version with audience clapping.  Hate that.
Let's see what happens if I put it on shuffle--what are the first 10 songs to pop up?  Ready?  Shuffle!

1.  "Time after Time"-- Eva Cassidy
2. " Creep"-- TLC
3. "What Can I Do"-- the Corrs
4. "Buile Mo Chroi"-- Karan Casey
5. "Breathe 2AM"-- Anna Nalick
6. "Smooth Operator"-- Sade
7. "Ice Cream"-- Sarah MacLachlan
8. "Oye Como Va"-- Celia Cruz
9. "Thorn Upon the Rose"-- Mary Black
10. " Take It Easy"-- the Eagles

Hmm.  Interesting mix, a little bit of everything.

Time to go see what else shuffle can do while I attempt to sleep again.  Maybe I'll count pelicans, or anteaters, or penguins, or toads....

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mweelin, I'm so sorry to hear about your bout with thyroid cancer. I have also had thyroid nodules, but so far, so good on the biopsies. As for your insomnia, you might be interested in a book I recently released called "Why Count Sheep When You Can SLEEP?" It's a read-in-bed book for calming a racing mind, based on my experiences married to the "snorer from hell" for 29 years. It has hundreds of proven, non-drug solutions from around the world, including many variations on counting sheep, plus self-hypnosis, visualizations, breathing exercises and a rather intriguing chapter called "The Boring Book" (a real sleeper). Available on Amazon or through my Web site, www.rosestreetpress.com. Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, but the book really works, and I want to help people get through the night with all the things I've learned over the years. Sincerely, Tracy Ecclesine Ivie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracy--I'll have to check it out! Good luck with your nodules and hope they stay cancer free...

    ReplyDelete