Friday, July 16, 2010

Which do I need more? Caffeine or sleep?

Yawn.

I did too much over the past two days.  Today, I'm paying for it.  It's after 2pm and I'm still in my pjs.  I figured I'd use this week to rest a little, and I have, but apparently not enough to be a fully functioning human being.

I had a  5 hour dinner with my sister-in-law on Wednesday night--we went to the Beacon Grille, had everything from soup to nuts, chatted and caught up with each other.  Food was fantastic--sea scallops!  We had to keep telling the waitress to come back because we kept chatting and kept forgetting to sort out the menu.  However, we just had to get a dessert to split, a scrumptious multi-layer chocolate cake with raspberry sauce.  Wow.  Stupid me also had a cup of coffee, but failed to check the time. I was up til 3am, completely wired.   I have to find a way to balance out the need for both caffeine and sleep.


But I'll be completely useless without something to jump start me on the days that I see the afternoon wall looming in the distance.  I'm not sure which would be worse--over-caffeination or too much TSH giving me heart palpitations.  I hate the heart palpitation thing--feels like the damn thing is going to jump clear out of your chest.

Oops.  My train went off the tracks again.  Where was I?  Oh yeah--the other day's activities that have left me feeling like oatmeal.

 Yesterday involved some physical activity...anyone have any advice on how to convince your body that it really needs to get off the couch and get moving??  I went to visit The Matchmaker for a swim in her pond and dinner later with her husband and Mr. Wonderful.  (She's the reason I married Mr. Wonderful).  Now, The Matchmaker has been linked to my family for years, having been friends with my mom and aunt.  She's 71, and whipped my ass in a leisurely two hour swim around the pond near her house.  I could have fallen face first into my burger later on that night, and my neck and shoulder muscles started yelping in pain before we had even left the house.  The swim was delicious--warm water fed by cold springs, birds chirping and not a soul around.  The water felt great, and I have to get back in the lake soon.  I did the coffee thing again, but I think it was half regular and half decaf.  I got to bed by 2am.

Needless to say, I'm moving in slow motion today.  I did manage to empty and refill the dishwasher, and read the paper....what an accomplishment, no?  On a happier note, the muscles have quieted down to a low whimper compared to last night.  Maybe that's a good sign?

I suppose I should go shower and get moving a little more.  Thank God I'm not having to deal with teenagers and work this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment