Saturday, June 2, 2012

Happy June!

Happy June!  I can't believe it's June.  I'm not complaining either, it's time for summer. 

On the thyroid front, not much has changed.  Brain fogginess is much better and I think everything else is ok. 
I'm still gluten free, so I've been at this for three weeks now?  Four weeks?  And I really do feel better.  The laundry list of symptoms is gone which is a huge bonus.  I'm doing pretty well I think trying to avoid it and have only had a couple of days where I think I got glutened by mistake.  It's not that hard, keeping track of ingredients when I'm at home.  I've tried some gluten-free cookies that haven't been too bad, and I like Udi's bread and bagels.  I had some pasta that was a combo of brown rice and corn, and it was just ok.  Didn't do so well the next day--much harder.  Luckily I'm not a huge pasta fan, so I won't be upset if I can't have pasta.  June 1st was National Donut Day, and it did make me cry inside a little to turn down a free donut with my coffee yesterday.  The happy byproduct of all of this avoiding wheat is a loss of a few pounds.  I'm conscious of the way the fat content seems to go up in gluten free food, so I'm trying not to eat a lot of it--do I really need it? 
The one thing that does make me freak out a little is eating out....it's a little scary not knowing for sure if you have gluten lurking in something.  And I don't want to call attention to myself, but it's hard.  I just finished up a grad class this week, and for the last class one of my classmates brought in a feast of homemade food--an entire table of food.  And I really didn't want to risk eating any of it since I could see that most of the options would come back to haunt me.  The thing that drove me crazy was all 8 people demanding to know why I wasn't eating....I took some carrots and hummus to shut them up, but then they kept telling me to try this and try that...I finally whipped out my pb&j on Udi's bread and ate that.  I know they meant well, but it was annoying and exactly the opposite of what I wanted.  I said I had a food allergy and left it at that.  I have to go to a retirement dinner at school next week, and it looks like my only option on the menu is prime rib.  I hate prime rib.  I know, weird, but I've never been a fan.  My parents would go out to eat and my mother would almost always get prime rib.  Ugh.  And the end of the year school faculty thing is a pizza party.  Maybe they'll have a giant salad? 
I'm trying to make sure I remember to take a multivitamin every day along with fish oil--I wonder if it's helping? 
So that's where I'm at.  I think I go see Dr. N at the beginning of July.  I'm still using my Wii and actually getting better at the boxing thing--I really have a hard time coordinating the moves!  So clumsy and not athletic. 
Not much else going on--lots of drama at school, especially with parents.  Not getting into any of it here, but if I hear the words "mean", "intimidating", "disrespected (as in kid feels)" one more time about teachers, I'm going to start throwing things.  There's this weird shift happening where kids and parents seem to feel that if the teacher says no, holds a deadline, or shows frustration, then they are those adjectives above.  Really?  Just do the *&^%$ work and we'll be fine.  Oh I could go on and on about this year....but I won't.
These next few weeks are usually insane, so here's hoping everyone gets to June 21st in one piece.  My next few weeks consist of keeping the AP kids working and going back into the department book room.  I spent tons of time in there this week, and I'm still convinced that there is a body buried in there somewhere.  I actually came across a set of French books dated 1925 with a copywright of 1899!!  They were used in the 80s and 90s....
Off to eat some gluten free cereal for breakfast now that my hour of waiting for thyroid meds to kick in is up. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! I hadn't had a chance to read your blog, much less post in my blog! But, I too want to try the gluten free thing! I just mentioned that on my blog! I think I am going to have to take baby steps though. I am having a hard time concepulizing giving up pizza at some of the really yummy resteraunts around here! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks! It's pretty easy to control the gluten when you're in charge of your own food, but going out to restaurants or to visit people is hard. I honestly can say I feel so much better. I've dropped about 10 pounds, and my cravings for carbs are gone. I think too it's like I flipped a mental switch with things like pizza and good bread--I know I'll feel worse if I eat it, and it's not worth it. I'll see my endo on the June 26th, so It will be interesting to see what she says...I have to do some more research, but there are definitely articles out there linking Hashimoto's and hypothryoidism with gluten intolerance. Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete