Sunday, October 9, 2011

The gene pool is overchlorinated?

Good news from my physical!  Well, if I don't count the impending bloodletting that has to happen...
I had my first physical in years with Dr. N, my new primary care/old endocrinologist this past Thursday.  Some highlights:
  • She was very impressed with my exercise routine and my ability to keep it up (walked for 35 blistering minutes today to merengue music while in NH).
  • She was also very impressed with my blood pressure numbers--luckily I've been checking it sporadically since she put me on BP meds this summer, and the numbers were consistently good.  She said she may even be able to get me off the meds if I keep up the exercise.  How's that for goal-setting? 
  • She laughed at most of my menopause stories and helped brainstorm some solutions to some of my lingering symptoms that will most likely never go away.  How to adjust to a new normal rears its ugly head once again.
  • She told me to stop worrying about a recurrence of thyca.  I should be more worried about the shitty gene pool that produced me and the potential risk factors from my forebears that could haunt me into an early grave. 
Some lowlights:
  • After all my really conscientious efforts at controlling my weight since July 13th, the scale only budged 2 pounds.  TWO. DOS, DUE.  DEUX. WTF??? I was so not happy at that.  However, it was afternoon, and I can truly feel a difference in my clothes and leg muscles.  So I've gained muscle weight, right?
  • My gene pool is a curse. Thanks Mom, Dad and assorted grandparents. 
  • My throat was red.  Damn, cold season is upon us. My nose has been running all weekend, and kids are starting to come in sick to school. 
  • Menopuase really and truly sucks.  Why don't men have an equivalent?  Oh, because that would be end of the human race once we all killed each other off out of sheer frustration. 
All in all, not bad.  I don't feel too horrible either.  I have to have some fasting bloodwork done in the next couple of weeks to see if any of my levels have improved, and she'll check the thyca tumor marker as well.  I'm hoping the exercise will pay dividends here.  I also have to have a bone density scan done so we can get a baseline because of the early menopause.  My mom ended up with osteoporosis, but she hated milk and probably didn't down calcium supplements like I do, and I love to drink milk.  Dr. N didn't seem too worried, just wanted to see where I"m at.

Whew. 

School is busy busy busy, but I think I'm keeping up.  Department meeting to run on Tuesday, so fingers are crossed that it will go well.  Highlight of my year so far is learning how to copy and burn DVDs. 

I'm in NH for the long weekend and using Sis's computer to update, so no pics.  We spent yesterday literally soaking up the sun on the beach since it was such a beautiful day--deep blue skies, hot sun, beautiful lake.  Today we went apple picking and outlet shopping, and then had a wonderful evening and dinner with old friends and a few bottles of wine.  Mr. Wonderful spent his day today playing in the Pirsch on a trip to a truck show in western MA.  So far it's been a great weekend and a bonus to have such amazing weather so late in the season.  I'm sure we'll pay for it somewhere else with a nor'easter blizzard in a few weeks. 

Off to bed soon.  Have to eat some apples...

No comments:

Post a Comment