Thursday, September 22, 2011

Gaaaahhhh!

That's the sound of me coming up, gasping for air.

I'm a little exhausted and haven't made it home before 6pm since school opened.  Classes seem to be off to a good start, and I'm up to my eyeballs in wading thru file cabinets and book rooms of books, papers, documents, files, old technologies, trying to figure it all out.  Some of the papers I've found date to the early 80s, and some of the books go back to 1953.  I haven't found any bodies in the book room yet, but maybe I haven't looked thoroughly enough.  

It took me two hours to go thru all the DVDs in the department, sort them out and catalog them.  I haven't even touched the substantial VHS collection.  It has also taken me a ton of time to figure out exactly who is using what books at each level in each language.  Chasing that info wasn't easy, but I think I've got it sorted out.  It's been, um, interesting.  My days teaching 5 classes had a certain rhythm to them, and I haven't figured out this new schedule's rhythm yet.  It will fall into place eventually, so I'm not worried.  I'm just really tired, so tired sometimes that it physically hurts.  

Even though I'm getting home really late, I'm still managing to get in my 30 minutes of exercise most days.  I've been noshing on frosted blueberry pop tarts (they have tons of vitamin A!) in the morning, so I have to work it off somehow.  I think the stress level at school leaves me constantly hungry, and it's been a real battle to watch the calorie count--much easier in the summer.  At least the change in my job is making me move around the building, so I'm often running from the basement to the second floor a few times a day, and then of course trying to get from one end of the building to the complete opposite end to make lunch duty in time.  I have an elevator key to move my cart around, but I'm using the stairs the rest of the time.  I figure every little bit helps.  I have a healthy stash of snacks in my office, but the calories add up.  

Highlight of my day:  cleaned out a file cabinet and got permission to clear out the book room.  That might take me until June.... 

I'm doing ok dealing with my thyroidless brainlessness too--I have a clipboard with my daily to-do list.  It really is a feeling of accomplishment to cross stuff off as the day goes on!  It's helped a ton and I feel like I'm getting things done.  I haven't lost the clipboard yet.  I'm thinking that since I basically have my classroom stacked on a cart, it's harder for me to misplace stuff?  I'm loving the Husky tool bag too.  

However, I don't know if this is related or not, but I've noticed that I'm reversing letters a lot more than usual whey I type.  I'm a pretty decent typist and know the keyboard, so I'm baffled at this latest cognitive blip.  I figure it will pass like every other blip I've had?  Maybe my tingly left pinky and ring finger are adding to it? I'm used to making some mistakes, but this is getting ridiculous. 

Off to crash.  The weekend should be fun since Sis is coming home so we can go to a surprise retirement party for a family friend--we were told that we had to go since my parents aren't able to be here.  It promises to be a good time. 

Oh--and, Ireland rugby beat Australia! Woo hoo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment