Saturday, September 3, 2011

Happy Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month!

Or Happy *&;^%$ September, summer is almost over.

It is also thyroid cancer awareness month (why September?).  Gena Lee Nolin is doing a great job on Facebook, constantly posting info via her Thyroid Sexy page/link/thingy.  She isn't focused on thyca, but she does have tons of info out there on Hashimoto's, diet, meds, and other things related to life with/without a thyroid.


It's officially Labor Day Weekend, and I can hear the 2011-2012 school year breathing down my neck, rapidly approaching to turn my world upside down again.

But I will squeeze as much as I can out of the next 72 hours or so!  I'm in NH hanging out with Sis after a few days roaming around northern NH and ME with Mr. Wonderful.  We went up the Mount Washington Auto Road--never done that before!  I think I really do have an irrational fear of heights sometimes, but the drive and views were breathtaking.  I  had a death grip on anything I could hold on to--it was a little unnerving with no guard rails.  We were even up higher than a helicopter flying over the valley below.  We couldn't see much at the top since we were in the clouds, but it was so cool to finally go up there.  Don't know why I haven't done it until now.... we also scoped out used book stores, outlets and remote roads thru tiny towns.  Saw lots of flood damage from Irene too.  So quality time with Mr. W, and a couple of days with Sis at the lake...pretty good way to end Summer 2011.

Energy level dipped again after a couple of great weeks, but it's manageable.  I'm still getting in my almost daily workouts, and my blood pressure is hovering in the 110/teens over 60s--is that too low now?  Maybe that's contributing to why I'm tired.  But the exercising has now turned into something I miss if I don't do it for a few days.  During our rambles through Maine, we stayed at a Comfort Inn.  Last night I had baked stuffed sole for dinner, not a bad option until I saw it was swimming (drowning actually) in Hollandaise sauce. Tasted great, but not exactly as healthy as I thought.   This morning, I actually woke up before Mr. W, and with the image in my mind of the stick of butter that was probably in the sauce, I got up and went to the little fitness center in the hotel, got my ass on the treadmill and walked for 35 minutes.  I WAS ON A FREAKING TREADMILL BEFORE I ATE BREAKFAST, BEFORE 8am.  So not me!  But it felt really good....and I'm a little proud of myself.  When Sis saw me after a few weeks of not seeing me, she noticed right off that my face had thinned out.  Both she and Mr. W told me that I had been looking "puffy".  When I look at pictures from the end of the school year, ugh.  Yes, puffy is a really good word to describe it.  I just wish someone had told me when I had crossed into the puffy zone. At least I can feel some of my clothes getting looser.  I'll walk tomorrow too.  I have a playlist on my iPod for walking, and if I keep up with the music for the whole time, I can work up quite a sweat.  The hills around here will make it harder but will burn more calories so I can indulge in some Phu Jee's Chinese food and ice cream, though not necessarily together.

I haven't been writing much either since I spent most of August fixing up my condo for rental, and I am now happily relieved to say I have a friend renting it, and all of our stuff is out of there, with the exception of a piano.  I have to figure out how to get rid of a piano.  I also spent a week in RI with Mr. Wonderful's family (or almost a week) and had great time at a beautiful house on the water.   I went in to school to work some more on my office too, and have done some prep work at home to get ready for my classes. I have the first 6 weeks or so mapped out, and have a pretty good idea how the rest of the year will go.  At least I think I do--it will probably come undone by day 3!

Off to bed.  Happy Labor Day Weekend, and don't forget to check your neck and thyca.org!

No comments:

Post a Comment