Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Yawn. Damn synthroid *&^%$#.

I'm really having a hard time functioning lately.  Not good with the start of a new school year and a new job.


I went to see Dr. N last week and told her my laundry list of symptoms, with the highlights being total exhaustion to the point of pain and hair falling out. And total brain fog.  I can't trust that those are an accurate indication of being over or under, since in the past I've had the same symptoms for both.  I just know that I haven't felt as good on synthroid as I always did on levoxyl.  Plus, after 15 years on the same drug, any change is bound to mess you up, right?  Damn you synthroid for messing with my stability.

It's funny, because I told Dr. N that while I have accepted that I will probably never feel really 100% good again, I can live with that and deal with some tiredness etc.  However, this was ridiculous.  She eyeballed me and said, "Well, we could try the Armour Natural stuff?  It comes from pigs and I'm not happy to use animal products, but we could try it.  Let's see what your blood levels show..."

I was actually hopeful because I've read some pretty good reviews of the natural hormone replacement. The next day I got my results online (very cool, no fear of missing the phone call!)  with a note that said, "No wonder you feel awful--your TSH is 2!  You need to be at 0.1.  I'm calling in the prescription now."

So I've switched, and I'm very happy that what I was feeling was legit.  Not happy I feel so crappy, but glad it was validated.  However, I'm in this weird limbo place of feeling icky but waiting for the change to feeling good.....everyone who has ever tinkered with thryoid levels knows what I mean.  It could take a few weeks.  Until then, I can sleep 12 hours on the weekends or hit a wall at 3pm and be completely non-functional.  This new job is helping a little--now that I've crossed over to the dark side of ed administration (department head of the language department), I don't have to be 'on' all day and can work more slowly in my little cave of an office.  I'm still teaching one class, but I can turn it on for one period!  Dunkin' Donuts at 7am and Starbucks around 2:30 are keeping me going--I should buy stock in both.

Dr. N also said that all of the patients she switched to Armour have said that they will never go back to a synthetic hormone replacement...I'm waiting for it to really kick in.

I'm tired of feeling tired.  And at this rate, I'll be bald by Christmas.   I just want to be a little closer to fine than I am right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment